Happy New Year! I’ve been meaning to post this recipe but winter break got in the way of my motivation. I made this dish while visiting my parents in CT. Fortunately, my mother had a paella pan to cook this dish in. The following paella recipe serves 4, and for best results cook in a 14 or 15-inch paellera. A large shallow frying pan will do as well. Read through all ingredients & steps before making so you have a picture of the dish before starting. I’ve broken down the steps into categories of what you’ll be eventually adding in/on to each step until completion.
Serves 4-5, Cook time 1 hour
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of flat leaf parsley
- 2 ripe tomatoes OR cup of canned tomatoes mashed with a fork
- 16 raw shrimp (peeled)
- Cut 2 squid tubes into rings
- 12 fresh (srubbed and debearded) mussels
- 1 1/2 cups of Spanish rice (yellow kind)
- 3-4 cups of chicken or fish stock
- 1/2 cup of water or dry white wine (I use whatever I have laying around, no preference)
- 2 tsps of paprika OR Spanish paprika
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4-5 tabelspoons of olive oil
- **Optional : 2 sausage links of either Chorizo or Kielbasa sausage
- PREP. Chop/prepare all your veggies (onion, garlic, peppers, parsley) and have them organized in separate bowls to have ready at hand when adding ingredients. If you’d like to use sausage, cook these links first and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Also, be sure to prep your fish- i.e cut squid into rings, clean and debeard mussels, peel and devine raw shrimp.
- SOFRITO. Sofrito is a Spanish tomato and Onion sauce which used as a flavor base for many dishes. To make the sofrito, heat 2 Tbsps of oil in the paella pan over medium heat and cook the red onion, parsley, and 3 cloves of chopped garlic (remaining garlic you add in step 4) for about 8 minutes. Add pureed tomatoes and Paprika. Cook until all the liquid as evaporated and texture is jam-like
- MUSSELS. While the sofrito is cooking, place the mussels in a saucepan with 1/2 cup of water or white wine. Cover and steam for 5 minutes until shells of mussels have opened.
- SHRIMP & SQUID. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil and add remaining garlic in pan. Add Shrimp and cook shrimp for 1-2 minutes. When shrimp start to turn pink, add squid and sautee for another 2 minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper and remove from pan and set aside.
- PAELLA PRODUCTION. Heat 2 Tbsps of olive oil to paella pan and add chopped red & green peppers. Stir for 6 minutes. Add the Sofrito back to the pan along with the Spanish rice and cook for 1 minute. Add stock & salt and pepper- simmer for 10 minute without stirring
- PAELLA. Lower the heat and simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 15 minutes, you can smell the rice toasting on the bottom of the pan. The toasted rice is called socorrat and is delicious. It’s like a crust at the bottom of the pan. (I remember when I was in Barcelona, Span and ordered paella for the first time and thought the rice was burnt! It wasn’t though and this is tradition of the dish). Once the rice is done cooking, add the fish, sausage, and peas. Turn off heat, cover in foil and let sit for 5 minutes.
Pair with a Spanish red wine, enjoy!
Happy Eating 🙂 xo