When people say there is nothing like homemade pasta, they really mean it. After making this pasta, I think it would be sacrilegious to go back to any boxed pasta. I highly highly highly recommend making homemade pasta at least once in your life – AND it is so easy to make. Oh, did I mention it has TWO ingredients? Which I’m willing to bet you already have in your kitchen.
All you need is a little bit of elbow grease to get this party started.
*Tip: figure one egg per person and two eggs per cup of flour. I made pasta for four (to ensure leftovers) so I included 2 cups of flour and 4 eggs.
*Tip #2: The two most important parts of this recipe is to ensure the dough is NOT sticky or tacky and to let it rest for the full 20 minutes.
- 2 cups of flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 large pot of boiling water
- Scoop flour into a medium-large size mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle of the flour, and crack the eggs inside the well – like this:
- With one hand, slowly start to fold the flour into the eggs.
- Once its all combined, remove from the bowl onto a floured surface. (Here’s where the elbow grease comes in). Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes until it’s smooth and not tacky
****The dough should NOT be sticky, nor tacky. It took me atleast 10 minutes of kneading, pulling, punching and massaging to get it to it’s smooth texture. Don’t give up! It will eventually get to its desired texture.
- Let rest for 20 minutes in the refrigerator or let it sit out on the counter for 2 minutes if you’re ready to use now.
****This step is CRITICAL to great pasta
- Once 20 minutes has gone by, roll out the dough until its paper thin. The thinner the better! The pasta will almost double in width and depth once it enters boiling water.
- Use a really sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut into strips
- Add to boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes or until al dente.
- Remove, drain, serve with anything or by itself- it’s THAT amazing
Happy Eating 🙂